Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I don't know about you, but I left my high school history class with the impression that U.S. involvement in World War II, at least in part, had something to do with American concern to rescue the Jews. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Certainly, there were Americans who did care, and American involvement in World War II did bring an end to the atrocities with the end of the war, but as a matter of state and federal policy, and as a matter of historical American anti-Semitism, rescuing the Jews, of course, was not our immediate concern (some might argue accurately that it was not a concern at all). On Monday 11/7/05, I had the honor of giving the opening talk for Holocaust Remembrance week. It was titled "American Complacency and the Holocaust" (a title chosen by Hillel) though my preferred title might have been, "The USA: Birthplace of Nazi Genocide." Essentially, in it, I explore American ideological culpability for the Holocaust vis-à-vis eugenics and scientific racism. I assert that Hitler looked towards America as the model for enacting his Aryan master race plan, and I thoroughly substantiate the same.